Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy Birthday to You!

Austin turned 25 years old on the 30th. He is sad to see 24 go. December is a loaded month for us and I  never want Austin to feel shafted or left out because he comes last in the month. So, we celebrated about 3 times. I always buy his Christmas and birthday presents at the same time and try to save the more impressive ones for his birthday. The problem with that is when Christmas rolls around I get so excited about his birthday presents I want to celebrate early and open them NOW! This year I got him some pretty boring basic stuff for Christmas (new dress socks, new dress shirt, pants, shoes etc.) and for his birthday he was getting a pretty sweet tool box and a gun. All of the brother in laws wanted to go shooting on Christmas day and really wanted me to give Austin his birthday gun. I did and he loved it SO much. We sang happy birthday to him and he opened up his new pride and joy. I actually felt bad at that point because we hadn't even sung to Oliver yet and it really was his birthday!

We celebrated again a few days later up at our cabin. We did some pretty great sledding, lit fireworks, sang to him again and ate a lot of ice cream. I gave him the tool box portion of his present at this point and he seemed to really like it. 


 Watching the show. Oliver was beyond terrified of the fireworks. He would lay on my shoulder and play dead for a few seconds right before he started kicking his legs like mad, as if he were trying to run away.



            I'm not good at photographing the actual fireworks. This is the closest picture I have.

                                                   Grandma doesn't look all that impressed.
 Early morning view of the lake, I love the pink sky as the sun was rising. Oliver gets us up early enough to witness these little everyday miracles, bless him. 





On his real birthday (Sunday) I kind of forgot about it until after church. I whipped up a little cake very similar to Oliver's birthday cake and told him to take his clothes off and eat it with his hands. He said no. So we sang to him again and had more cake and ice cream.

I had to make do with the candles that were hanging around in my mom's baking drawer. I came up with "13" and 12 other candles to equal 25. For some reason no one understood that. They kept looking at the cake and saying, "13? That's it? Isn't he 25?" Didn't they notice 12 other candles sticking out of that tiny cake? 


                                                                    Patiently waiting...
 Taste test...
...Approved.

 A few party guests


No comments:

Post a Comment