Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Update

I've been waiting for some time to make a little update on here, but time isn't something I've got a surplus of. Vivian sleeps great at night but during the day she naps about like Oliver did at this age which is not at all :) She just likes to be held, that's all. She is the happiest baby I have ever seen! She is always smiling and chattering away. I love it. And right now I am crazy obsessed with her little pop belly. Weird, I know. But I just love her tummy! It's adorable. She really is the greatest baby I could ask for. She has been sleeping through the night since the day she was born and she nurses like a champ. Oliver gets a little frustrated during her feeding time and is always thrusting nursing pads or clothes at me as if to tell me to cover it up and be done already.

I'm struggling with knowing how to discipline an 18 mo old. I hate telling him no-no all day and I know it's ineffective because he hates hearing it all day! I've been experimenting with time outs but I can't really tell if he understands or if they are helping. He is hitting like crazy and I can't get him to stop. Advice appreciated. Oh and he bites too if you have any tips there. Other than that, I am still constantly admiring his beautiful little face and smothering him with hugs and kisses because he is the cutest, sweetest, little guy! I had a Mommy Payday at Walmart yesterday. We went to get something fun to do, like a sprinkler or a pool or some new toy to entertain us because we were getting a little bored and lazy at home. He found a car that he really liked and was so excited that we got to take it home. (We never buy toys..like EVER) When we were done checking out he turned to the cashier and said "Thank you! Bye-bye!" My heart melted and hers did too. Looks like some things are sinking in. I was pretty dang proud of him for remembering to say thank you. He is learning more and more words every day and saying them more and more clearly, too. He loves bugs and is not afraid of them--eek! He is nuts about big trucks and RV's and whenever he sees something with a motor he walks around doing the sound effects. He is such a boy, through and through.

When Vivian was born she failed the infant hearing screening on her left ear. We went back to re-test 2 weeks later and she failed again. We were referred to a specialist and failed again. So this month we are taking her to the Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock to confirm that she cannot hear out of the left ear and figure out why not. We will also be making a trip to the Children's Hospital this month for Oliver's long awaited circumcision. Long story short, there were some misunderstandings when he was born and we were advised to wait, then when he went to have it done they said he had to be 1 years old because he would have to be sedated. When he turned 1 we did not have insurance and now we finally do and it is time! Woo hoo! I think it is going to be extremely rough on the poor little guy and even harder on me but I am so ready to put it behind us. Pray for him and the doctors so everything will turn out well. It's funny that at my old job I would sedate up to 15 people on any given day and didn't think twice about it but now that it is my little baby I am worried sick. I know the doctors are great and he will be just fine but thinking about my 1 year old being put under for a surgery kind of makes me sick to my stomach.

I just took Vivian to her 2 month check up even though she is 3 months old. We were traveling and missed the 2 month mark. She is doing great, weighs 12 lbs, is 24 inches long. We have already taken 2 trips by airplane back to Utah since she has been born. We are a little home sick but definitely adjusting.

In other news, we put an offer on a house this week and are really hoping we get it. I think part of my struggles with this move are because we have such a crummy rental and there aren't a lot of housing options. I was really wanting to move back home immediately but have decided to stick it out for 5 years (give or take, things never go as planned) and Austin will get some good experience, and his job will pay for his MBA. Then we can reevaluate. Our offer was a little low but everyone here asks ridiculous prices for their homes! It's crazy. So we have some back ups in mind but I would be thrilled if this worked out. It's strange to be talking about buying homes, I'm not grown up enough for that!

I got a calling as one of the Young Women's leaders in the branch and I really love it. Granted, we only have 2-3 YW on any given Sunday. I feel like I am still supposed to be in Young Women's myself. It's weird. But I feel like I can relate well to the girls and their struggles and I can be a good friend to them and hopefully teach them something along the way. Right now we are saving up money for girls camp so I've been hiring them to baby sit and we are having a cake auction at the end of this month. It's all so exciting :)

I miss my family and I can't wait for each of them to come and visit me in this little corner of the world. It is so beautiful and I really am learning to love it in spite of the depressing humidity. I learned that I have been officially "Southernized". My last trip to Idaho my hands were cracking and my lips were dry and I got bloody noses and stuffed up sinuses. It was gross. It was a relief to come home where I didn't have to put on chapstick and lotion every half hour.

Here is a bunch of pictures of my adorable kids. I had a vision of getting these adorable pictures of Oliver holding and snuggling his baby sister for Father's day but that didn't happen. He has no interest in taking pictures and it was tough to get him to even look at the camera. We did what we could, but there are definitely more of Vivian (alone) than of Ollie. Enjoy.













3 comments:

  1. Such beautiful babies. I love that I can keep up with everyone with the social networking we have these days. Keep the updates coming and have fun being a mommy. It is the greatest job in the whole world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both darling.
    Try redirecting Oliver, instead of saying no ask him to get you something, make the garbage truck sound, it's hard to bite when your making truck noises, keep a soft ball handy that you can throw to him to distract or bubbles. The distraction takes his mind off what he shouldn't do or gives him a positive option. I'm not good at thinking things up spur of the moment so try writing down fifteen things he can do and reviewing them frequently so when you need him to change activities you're prepared. Good Luck, Love and Smiles, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, if you figure out how to discipline Oliver, let me know cause Hayden is acting like a stinker too. Ha! he looks to make sure we are watching, but what the heck do you do with a 15 month old? Even when we tell him no, he laughs and thinks its a game! And, your kids are SO freaking beautiful. Also, I love Hayden's little belly too. It's not chubby, it just sticks out...so funny!

    ReplyDelete