Monday, November 5, 2012

No Longer an It

Today I was blessed to find out the lump in my tummy is a little girl. I was elated. Girls are what I know, and not just because I am one. I have sisters, cousins, and nieces galore with very few boys in the mix. Austin wanted a boy, which would have been fun for Oliver to have a little buddy, but brothers and sisters can be buddies too. I know some.

When we left the doctors office and got back in the car I turned around and looked at Oliver in his big boy car seat and said, "You're a big brother! You're getting a little sister!" and in that moment he looked so grown up. He had no clue what I was saying but he was excited because he could tell that we were excited, too.

Austin noticed a big difference between this gender reveal and the last. I was giddy and giggling as we left the office today unlike at Oliver's appointment which I left in tears. It's not that I wasn't excited to be having a healthy baby boy, I was just freaked out by boys and a mixture of hormones made me a little emotional. I couldn't stop imagining him as a teenager with body hair and body odor and giant, man-sized, sweaty shoes lying around the house. My mom tried to reassure me that those worries could be put off for several years but those were the only images of my baby boy I could muster. But look at him...who couldn't love this face? There's nothing hairy or sweaty about him... for now.


It's extra special having a girl because everything is new again, it's like I'm having a baby for the first time, all over. Plus, I get to decorate another nursery! That is pretty darn exciting to me. If we were having another boy we had decided they would share a room.

We didn't get any good ultrasound pictures because the little girlie wouldn't come out of hiding. We were able to see that she was a she and that all of her parts were in working order but we didn't get that precious profile shot, or little waving hands or anything like that. At my next appointment my doctor said we would take another quick peak to see if she is cooperating for a good photo shoot, at no charge! Sweet! I'll take a peak at my little cantaloupe any chance I get!

I've posted a poll about her name, the first two options are just different spelling. We already have our hearts set on a name, I think, but I want opinions anyway, just for fun. It takes the fun out of waiting for a baby if the name is already set in stone way before they arrive. It's a neat thing to toss ideas back and forth and decide on an identity for a new human being. Our minds are open.

Half way through, this baby is coming fast! At the moment, I have no idea what our life will be like or where our life will take us past December. Austin graduates in just a month and a half and he is applying for jobs and interviewing like a mad man. We could be anywhere when this baby lands. It's all out of my control and that is very strange for me, but I am at peace with it. The Lord will place us where he needs us most and our lives will be good. And the next time we move I have promised Austin that we will find help for him and he won't be on his own. I have been pregnant for the last two moves and will be again for this upcoming one. Not like that is an excuse, I'm not a lot of help when it comes to the heavy lifting anyway, even though I like to think I am. Taking volunteers now.....

4 comments:

  1. Aw!!! SO happy for you two! Shark is seriously one of the most adorable things in this universe. Mike is pretty good at heavy lifting. Call us up anytime you need help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Erica! I was laughing at your emotional reaction/ picturing of a teenage boy when you to found out Oliver's gender, you are so funny. I'm so jealous! I would be excited too, just think of all the pretty pink things you get to buy now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I wanted to tell you I totally voted for you to name your babe Vivian. What's funny is I have a nephew Oliver and a niece Vivian!! And I'll just warn you now that if you choose Olivia we may have a baby with the same name. :) But, alas, I'm not pregnant yet haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!! So happy for you! Enoch and Tegan are best friends, and have always gotten along so well.

    ReplyDelete